CHRONOLOGY OF THE HACKER CRACKDOWN
- U.S. Secret Service (USSS) founded.
- Alexander Graham Bell invents telephone.
- First teenage males flung off phone system by
- "Futurian" science-fiction group raided by Secret
- Yippie phone phreaks start YIPL/TAP magazine.
- *Ramparts* magazine seized in blue-box rip-off
- Ward Christenson and Randy Suess create first
personal computer bulletin board system.
- William Gibson coins term "cyberspace."
- "414 Gang" raided.
- AT&T dismantled in divestiture.
- Congress passes Comprehensive Crime Control Act
giving USSS jurisdiction over credit card fraud and
- "Legion of Doom" formed.
- *2600: The Hacker Quarterly* founded.
- *Whole Earth Software Catalog* published.
- First police "sting" bulletin board systems
- Whole Earth 'Lectronic Link computer conference
(WELL) goes on-line.
- Computer Fraud and Abuse Act passed.
- Electronic Communications Privacy Act passed.
- Chicago prosecutors form Computer Fraud and
Abuse Task Force.
- Secret Service covertly videotapes "SummerCon"
- "Prophet" cracks BellSouth AIMSX computer
network and downloads E911 Document to his own
computer and to Jolnet.
- AT&T Corporate Information Security
informed of Prophet's action.
- Bellcore Security informed of Prophet's action.
- Prophet uploads E911 Document to Knight
- February 25.
- Knight Lightning publishes E911 Document
in *Phrack* electronic newsletter.
- Chicago Task Force raids and arrests "Kyrie."
- "NuPrometheus League" distributes Apple
Computer proprietary software.
- June 13.
- Florida probation office crossed with phone-sex
line in switching-station stunt.
- "Fry Guy" raided by USSS and Chicago Computer
Fraud and Abuse Task Force.
- Secret Service raids "Prophet," "Leftist," and "Urvile"
- January 15.
- Martin Luther King Day Crash strikes AT&T
long-distance network nationwide.
- January 18-19
- Chicago Task Force raids Knight Lightning
in St. Louis.
- January 24.
- USSS and New York State Police raid "Phiber
Optik," "Acid Phreak," and "Scorpion" in New York City.
- February 1.
- USSS raids "Terminus" in Maryland.
- February 3.
- Chicago Task Force raids Richard Andrews' home.
- February 6.
- Chicago Task Force raids Richard Andrews'
- February 6.
- USSS arrests Terminus, Prophet, Leftist, and
- February 9.
- Chicago Task Force arrests Knight Lightning.
- February 20.
- AT&T Security shuts down public-access
"attctc" computer in Dallas.
- February 21.
- Chicago Task Force raids Robert Izenberg in
- March 1.
- Chicago Task Force raids Steve Jackson Games,
Inc., "Mentor," and "Erik Bloodaxe" in Austin.
- May 7,8,9.
- USSS and Arizona Organized Crime and
Racketeering Bureau conduct "Operation Sundevil" raids
in Cincinnatti, Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, Newark,
Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Richmond, Tucson, San Diego, San
Jose, and San Francisco.
- FBI interviews John Perry Barlow re NuPrometheus
- Mitch Kapor and Barlow found Electronic Frontier
Foundation; Barlow publishes *Crime and Puzzlement* manifesto.
- July 24-27.
- Trial of Knight Lightning.
- CPSR Roundtable in Washington, D.C.
- March 25-28.
- Computers, Freedom and Privacy
conference in San Francisco.
- May 1.
- Electronic Frontier Foundation, Steve Jackson, and
others file suit against members of Chicago Task Force.
- July 1-2.
- Switching station phone software crash affects
Washington, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, San Francisco.
- September 17.
- AT&T phone crash affects New York City
and three airports.
Literary Freeware: Not for Commercial Use
THE HACKER CRACKDOWN: Law and Disorder on the